Re: Alice Springs to Darwin line, but wait, there is more.!

In article <37ffc220.12049746@news.ozemail.com.au> telljb@OZozemail.com.au (< Tell >) writes:
>From: telljb@OZozemail.com.au (< Tell >)
>Subject: Alice Springs to Darwin line, but wait, there is more.!
>Date: Fri, 01 Oct 1999 14:16:04 GMT

>Story in the Centralian Advocate today;

>HOWARD TOLD: RAIL LINK VITAL
>PM John Howard has been told to urgently declare his
>support for the Alice Springs to Darwin railway.

>The call comes in a joint statement this week from
>Federal Labor leader Kim Beazley, South Australian
>Labor opposition leader Mike Rann and NT Labor
>opposition leader Clare Martin.

>Mr Beazley said Labor has always strongly supported the
>proposed North South link.  At the last election we
>commited $100 million, and we also said that beyond
>2001-2002 we would provide additional funding of $300
>million if such funding was required.

>Just wondering folks, there will be neither a federal
>or territory election for some time, is an election due
>in South Australia soon.?

>----Terry Burton
>Alice Springs NT
><< remove OZ for Email reply.>>

Given the current estimates of the running costs of keeping our troops in East
Timor , I wouldnt be holding my  breath for any Federal funds for rail for
quite a long time.
The Feds will have to start looking at ways of raising an additional $2 B this
year alone, with less in the following year.
Interesting also that the PCs report on Rail Reform (handed to the Govt on the
5th of August) hasnt seen the light of day yet.
Not surprising given that it will , in most cases reinforce what both Neville
& Smorgon recommended, of which both reports the Feds are yet to respond to.
ie we dont want to hear that more rail funding is the answer.

MD