Re: Railcar shell in Canberra

Hi all (again)

The AUPT was actually built at Islington in 1974 and was first exhibited at the Adelaide Royal Show.

When I was going through my apprenticeship in the railways, I spent 4 months in the drawing office and assisted in drawing the layout of the drivers "control panel" which was only a fibreglass mockup.

I seem to recall that the vehicle was in fact considered too wide and long for Sydney and Melbourne and as was the same for Adelaide or only just within the loading width gauge.

I last saw it in Canberra 2 years later so am a bit disappointed to hear that it met the fate that it did.

Cheers

Trevor Gibbs