Re: Time Wasting Puzzle - Longest Broad Gauge Trip

All right - I'll put my solution up for scrutiny here goes.

1.  Peterborough to Hamley Bridge (South)
2.  Hamley Bridge to Brinkworth (North)
3.  Brinkworth to Kadina (West)
4.  Kadina to Bowmans (East)
5.  Bowmans to Salisbury to Dry Creek (South)
6.  Dry Creek to Port Dock (West)
7.  Port Dock to Adelaide (South)
8.  Adelaide to Mile End (West)
9.  Mile End to Glenelg East (West)
10. Glenelg East to Goodwood (East)
11. Goodwood to Tailem Bend (South-East)
12. Tailem Bend to Ouyen (East)
13. Ouyen to Dunolly (South)
14. Dunolly to Inglewood (North)
15. Inglewood to Bendigo (East)
16. Bendigo to Castlemaine (South)
17. Castlemaine to Maryborough (West)
18. Maryborough to Ararat (West)
19. Ararat to Hamilton (South-West)
20. Hamilton to East Natimuk to Horsham (North)
21. Horsham to Wolseley (West)
22. Wolseley to Mount Gambier (South)
23. Mount Gambier to Heywood (East)
24. Heywood to Coleraine Junction (North)
25. Coleraine Junction to Warrnambool (South-East)
26. Warrnambool to Geelong (East)
27. Geelong to Laverton (North-East)
28. Laverton to Altona (East)
29. Altona to North Melbourne (North-East)
30. North Melbourne to Broadmeadows (North)
31. Broadmeadows to Sunshine (South-West)
32. Sunshine to Warrenheip (West)
33. Warrenheip to Gheringhap (South-East)
34. Gheringhap to Cressy (West)
35. Cressy to North Ballarat (North)
36. North Ballarat to North Creswick (North)
37. North creswick to Daylesford to Carlsruhe (East)
38. Carlsruhe to Clarkefield (South-East)
39. Clarkefield to Lancefield to Kilmore (East)
40. Kilmore to North Bendigo Junction (North)
41. North Bendigo Junction to Echuca (North)
42. Echuca to Toolamba (South-East)
43. Toolamba to Somerton (South)
44. Somerton to Royal Park (South)
45. Royal Park to Clifton Hill (East)
46. Clifton Hill to Fairfield (North-East)
47. Fairfield to Riversdale (South)
48. Riversdale to Burnley (West)
49. Burnley to East Malvern (South-East)
50. East Malvern to Hughesdale (South)
51. Hughesdale to Richmond (North-West)
52. Richmond to Museum to Flinders Street (Circle)
53. Flinders Street to St Kilda (South)
54. St Kilda to Windsor (East)
55. Windsor to Elsternwick (South)
56. Elsternwick to Oakleigh (East)
57. Oakleigh to Moe (East)
58. Moe to Yallourn (North)
59. Yallourn to Hearne's Oak (South)
60. Hearne's Oak to Sale (East)
61. Sale to Orbost (East)

Notice I've used the two Glenelg train lines.  (Was there ever a connection at
Goodwood)?  Also used the Rosstown Railway, outer circle and St Kilda to Windsor
in Melbourne.

Don't forget the two ways to Yallourn.  Yes there is 26 chains between the two
junctions at North Bendigo, and the other close shave is at Hamilton and
Coleraine Junction.

Could I have travelled to Cavan and back to Dry Creek?

No I haven't figured out the distance either.