Re: Z Car No. 1

WhaleOilBeefHooked wrote:

> Correct me if I am wrong (I am sure *somebody* will) but aren't there
> seperate classes of Z, Z.1, Z.3 and ZC trams? And isn't number 1 a Z?

There are three classes, Z1, Z2 and Z3.

Z1 class are 1 - 100
Z2 class are 101 - 115
Z3 class are 116- 230

The ZC to which you refer was No 5 which was converted to chopper
control in 1977 as a prelude to getting chopper control in future trams.
When its original contactor control was reinstated in 1983 it was
reclassified a Z1.

And of course before 1978 they were just all called Zs. The pre-100
trams were reclassified Z1 then to distinguish them from 101-115 then
being delivered which had some differences from the earlier ones. The
Z3s which followed have chopper control as well as three doors on each
side compared with the two of the Z1s and Z2s.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand