Re: Door Control

In <37E9DFDB.33B1237@smartchat.net.au> Rod Gayford <rjaygee@smartchat.net.au> writes:

>Do not know if this has anything to do with it but car T4143 has a box
>with red indicator lights adjacent to the auto doors that are quite
>visible from outside the train.

I think that's one the trial cars for our new door position indicators with
traction interlocks and door warning devices. (it *is* a mouthful and a
half!) There's a whole General Order about it!

Basically, there are indicators (DOIL's - aka Door Open Indicator Lamp's) in
the cabs which tell the driver and the guard if the doors are still open.
There is also a traction interlock (the DOTI - aka Door Open Traction
Interlock) which prevents the driver from powering if *any* door-open
indicator detects a set of doors which is still open.

I've always been in favour of having these... Now we can legitimately be
delayed because of door obstructions. It will also force the maintenance
people to do their job better, because there'll be a lot of DOIL's being
isolated in traffic if doors stick open and the traction interlocks keep
operating to prevent the train from powering...

The other feature is an automatic 'stand clear - doors closing' announcment
(the DWD - aka Door Warning Device) which operates once the door close
button is pressed. There is a 3 second delay after pressing the button
during which this announcement plays, then the doors will close.

Regards,

Craig.
--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport