Re: Strikes and Unions (was Central (NSW), Friday 24/9)

Railway Rasputin wrote in message <37ED50C5.8B90B3FC@fastlink.com.au> re >>
Another Olympics rehearsal?
>Yes but before we had people that knew how to get things done, instead
>of uni types that have no real knowledge of how things work. Add to that
>we have been out of practice with strikes.

Apologies, dear readers!

I've been out of Sydney for a decade (working near the E.B.R, then near
Westrail, then near Q.R., then near CSX), and I'm still re-learning the
passengers' road in Sydney.

As I recall, in the 1960's, the General Train Strike was an institution
conducted on a Monday, or on a Monday and Tuesday.  As management and
workers acted out their parts, you would see Monday night's mail trains
docked at Sydney Sunday night to depart around 12:40 am Tuesday or
Wednesday.

As I recall, in the 1980's, David Hill would send the Firemen out on strike
for two weeks at the start of every School Holidays (when private buses were
available).

I'm sorry you're out of practice with strikes!  Since I'm out of practice
with the N.S.W.G.R. / P.T.C. / the S.R.A. / CityRail, I still kind of expect
to see management playing its 1960's game and providing the best service
possible within the constraints set by the wicked unions, rather than just
rolling over and crying "too hard!".

BTW, can somebody post for the benefit of us old-timers the history of rail
union amalgamations?

As I understand it, the RBTU is the old A.R.U. and A.F.U.L.E and
A.T.M.O.E.A. (and goodness knows who else!).  Is the transport part of the
A.S.U. the old A.T.O.F or the old N.U.R or the old D.L.P. or someone else?
Does its coverage include signallers or only S.M./A.S.M. positions?

TAI

Bill :{)