Re: If Vic. Labor falls over the line in a month

Lineman <grime@sympac.NOSPAMcom.au> wrote in message
7sh04a$iil$1@perki.connect.com.au">news:7sh04a$iil$1@perki.connect.com.au...
> "Bracks, as a result, produced election policies that business could buy.
> The ALP's industry policy committed $335million to new programs to create
> jobs and improve efficiency, especially in regional and rural Victoria.
The
> money was earmarked for new rail lines, a standardised rail gauge to
> streamline freight movement, and other infrastructure improvements."
> The above may be of interest to expatriate Vics.
> It would appear that Labor does have some transport ideas,but they are to
be
> found in their Industry policy.
>
> Standardising Freight Lines
Labor recognises that standard gauge rail should operate on all of
Victoria's rail freight lines. Victoria's dual gauge rail freight system is
inefficient and wasteful.

It is widely accepted that the benefits to the Victorian economy of
standardising our rail freight lines far outweigh the cost involved.

A department of infrastructure report identifies potential benefits in
excess of $25m a year to the Victorian economy. The report is unequivocal in
its conclusion that standardisation would bring significant benefits to
Victoria.

Labor will provide $40m from the Regional Infrastructure Development Fund as
a contribution to a partnership with the Federal Government and Freight
Victoria to convert all broad gauge Victorian rail freight lines to standard
gauge.

Upgrading rail links to regional centres
Labor believes that a key to regional economic development is improved rail
linkages to Melbourne. Labor will work in partnership with the private
sector to significantly reduce travelling times to Geelong, Ballarat,
Bendigo and Traralgon.

As part of its transport policy Labor has committed $80m to upgrade rail
lines to the Geelong, Ballarat, Bendigo and Traralgon.