Re: English Electric---Rocklea

Roderick Smith <rodsmith@werple.net.au> wrote in message
01bf062d$5d088e40$f72d11cb@rodsmith">news:01bf062d$5d088e40$f72d11cb@rodsmith...
> AFAIK, EE was absorbed into a confusingly-named GE (not the same as the
USA
> one).
>
> However, even with this as a clue, I could find nothing during a quick
skim
> of the 1999 ARA directory.
> --
> Regards
> Roderick Smith
> Rail News Victoria Editor

EE became part of GEC, which then became GEC-Alsthom, then just Alstom. The
als bit was a French company the thom was British Thomson Houston (BTH), one
of the comnpanies responsible for the NSW 41 class. Australian Electrical
Industries (AEI) were also involved (or part of) GEC. The original
electrical equipment at Comsteel Unanderra was EE, later gear was GEC-AEI
and there was also BTH. All the panels in the motor rooms had plates with
the maker's name, the EE ones were the same as fitted to the Port Kembla
locos and I have a pair of them (the plates, not the locos!).
--
Regards,
Chris Stratton