Re: [Melb] $3.30 tickets almost useless

>I agree with the comments made about validating after 9.30am, sounds like a
>retrograde step to me. Off peak tickets as far as I'm aware have never been
>sold on weekends. Why has no-one complained before, the old off peak ticket
>to the city has existed since at least the early 80s when the neighbourhoods
>were introduced and probably before that in some guise or other. Would be
>interested if anyone can contribute some details on off peak tickets before
>the neighbourhood ones in Melbourne and their limitations.

I can remember travelling to the city with my mother as a kid in the
50s (or maybe early 60s) using off peak tickets, so they have been
around for a long time.  Similar rules: not available before 9:30 (my
memory say 10am, but it was a long time ago) and not available for
return between 4pm and 6pm.  Also, IIRC, they were only available for
travel to and from the city.

I was also under the impression that back then weekend travel was not
at full fare, although my memories might have been clouded by
children's tickets available from your station to "anywhere" for
something like 10 cents on a Sunday.

Cheers...JD

John Dennis                         jdennis@acslink.net.au
Melbourne                                  denjo02@cai.com
Australia                   Home of the Dutton Bay Tramway
DBT URL:       http://www.acslink.net.au/~jdennis/dbt.html