Re: 42220

On 22 Sep 1999 06:18:49 GMT, markbau1@aol.comQQQQyuk (MarkBau1) wrote:

><<<<< 81s had troubles in the long tunnel on the Ulan line, as the system
>relied
>> on a reading of true speed from looking at the ballast: no light, and no
>> ballast.>>>>
>
>This is incorrect. The radar employed, like all radar, does not need light.

81's had trouble in the Ulan tunnel because of air intakes - the
trailing units were breathing dirty air from the lead locos exhaust.
that is why the air intake was altered.

>Its worked for me over bridges that had no ballast and on concrete track
>panels.

81's had radar problems (unloading amps) crossing the Wagga viaduct
when it was wet. the radar 'bounced' of the rainwater on the bridge
timbers. Don't know why but this was the only bridge where I had this
sort of problem (just what you need at the bottom of a 1 in 46 grade
;-)).

>Problems occur in winter when snow and slush can accumulate on the radar panel
>buts thats the only problem I've had with Super Series that I know of.

Nullarbor dust does similar things -  thats why we have bannister
brushes in the kit :-).

Cheers

Krel

VGR website http://www.castlemaine.net.au/~vgr/

If competition is so good how come there is only one Competition Commision?