Re: movable-span bridges

Roderick Smith wrote in message <01bf0304$a2137580$cb8817d2@rodsmith>...

>BC posted: There was a tram bridge over an arm of the Tweed River to Dodds
>Island.  There were still some tramlines on the approaches to this bridge
>as late as 1986 but they have since disappeared.

>Was this movable or was it fixed?
>What tram system was it on?  AFAIK the only one in the area is/was Condong
<snip>

This was (and still is a fixed bridge). I think I posted this in reply to a
post about a punt in this area. The bridge was actually on Brinsmead's or
Byrne's tramway which connected with the Condong mill lines at Oak Avenue.
The ARHS Bulletin on this subject from about 1978? has a brief description
of this line and the whole Condong system except that it refers incorrectly
to Stotts Island rather than Dodds.

Barry Campbell