Re: Proposed itinerary for 38s to Victoria

On Wed, 15 Sep 1999 22:50:24 +1000, "Notagunzel" wrote, and I
selectively quote:

>On Monday morning, AFAIK the 2 38's will head out of Melbourne with the
>Sitting Cars, B74 trailing, with a Day Trip to Ararat.  Opon arrival at
>Ararat, the 2 38's are detached, and B74 takes the Day Trip back to Melb.
>B74 then returns ety cars (entire set) to GEX to pick up the RTM mob.

Do the RTM crews stay with the locos at Ararat?  It's just that I'm
thinking it'd make sense to run the 76 class from Ararat back to
Maroona to await the arrival of the tourist train.

Can locos arranged tender to tender run at line speed, or is the fact
that one loco is TF a speed limiter..... or is it the distance running
TF (uncomfortable for the crews)?

>When the train gets to Ararat, the 2 x 38's run TF to Portland, then FF to
>Dimboola.  B74 is still tagging along somewhere. When the Train gets to
>Dimboola, the 38's are dumped for servicing, and the B takes the train onto
>Yaapeet & Hopetoun.

I'm trying to work this out..... Is it

(a) 76 class from Portland to Stawell/Murtoa, then B74 to Hopetoun,
back to Murtoa, pick up 76 class then to Dimboola, cut off 76 class,
B74 onwards to Yaapeet and return;  or

(b) 76 class light engine from Stawell/Murtoa to Dimboola once B74
heads off to Hopetoun?

>I am led to believe that the Diesel on the Yaapeet & Hopetoun branches is
>for the full package RTM mob only  :o(
>
>I have no interest whatsoever in travelling behind 2 overgrown tea kettles
>from NSW :o), but would have been very interested in the Diesel beyond
>Dimboola.  But at $3500 for 2 branches, nah......

>What services are Pichi Richi running over Easter?

undersized tea kettles?.......or a Coffee Pot?

Regards

Yuri
--
Yuri J Sos