Re: Reopened stations

Mark Cauchi <mark.cauchi@med.monash.edu.au> wrote in message
37E05B53.4C98@med.monash.edu.au">news:37E05B53.4C98@med.monash.edu.au...
> FRISCÉ Theatre Co. (Bryan Cullis) wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone think of any rail stations that were closed and then
reopened?  I
> > can think of the following:
> >
> > VICTORIA -
> >
> > Lalor - Epping line
> > Epping - Epping line
> > Alamein - Alamein line
> > Ashburton - Alamein line
> > Burwood - Alamein line
> > Hartwell - Alamein line
> > Willison - Alamein line
> > Riversdale - Alamein line
> > Upwey - Belgrave line
> > Tecoma - Belgrave line
> > Thomson - Walhalla line
> > Walhalla - Walhalla line (soon)
> > Selby - Gembrook line
> > Menzies Creek - Gembrook line
> > Clematis - Gembrook line
> > Emerald - Gembrook line
> > Nobelius Sdg. - Gembrook line
> > Nobelius - Gembrook line
> > Lakeside - Gembrook line
> > Wright - Gembrook line
> > Cockatoo - Gembrook line
> > Fielder - Gembrook line
> > Gembrook - Gembrook line
> > Cranbourne - Cranbourne line
> > Korumburra - Leongatha line
> > Leongatha - Leongatha line
> > Nyora - Leongatha line
> > Flemington Racecourse - Racecourse line
> > R.A.S. Showgrounds - Racecourse line
> >
> > QUEENSLAND -
> >
> > Birkdale - Cleveland line
> > Wellington Point - Cleveland line
> > Ormiston - Cleveland line
> > Cleveland - Cleveland line
> >
> > Any more?
>
> Alamein????

Wasn't Alamein named after the battle of El Alamein where Romell was turned
back???

If so how could it have closed and re-opened???

The line wasn't extended beyond Ashburton until after WW11, the original
Outer Circle Line didn't have a station anywhere along there, Ashburton was
originally called Norwood I think and was a crossing loop, the next station
was Waverley, (later called Waverley Road), the next Oakleigh.

Just as apoint of interest the pub at Oakleigh (since yuppised) is called
the 'Oakleigh Junction Hotel' a reminder of Oakleigh's Outer Circle
connection.

Bob.

P.S. When I was a young lad growing up in Oakleigh (just after the Rosstown
Railway closed)<g> , it was known as "The Blood House".