Re: Driver Qualifications.

Eddie Oliver wrote:

> Yes, but there are retired people who are still qualified, and there are
> various other non-freight operators (e.g. 3801 Limited in NSW) who have
> qualified personnel, and who are not likely to be perceiving the new
> operator as a competitor.
>
> Eddie Oliver

AH once again 3801 LTD saves the world from destruction.

Lets get serious here.
They won't want someone that tells war stories like: "Back when I was a
Fireman at Lithgow in the winter of '53.......". The company will want
their drivers trained in todays workings not 30 years ago. Lets face it.
Everyone forgets stuff even if they are a train enthusiest.

Some washed up driver from 3801 LTD, or the RTM, won't pass on all the
neccesary knowledge from all interlockings on all roads.

As much as I respect the senior drivers, it isn't practical. Thats why
we get things like "the NEW ROAD at Campbelltown" its been there ever
since I've been a kid.  BTW I am not saying that older drivers can't
teach the "tricks of the trade" which they do and can be of a great
help.

Propper training from qualified instructors is what is being used so
that everyone gets the correct facts, not hearsay or a persons "belief".
Even Loco Inspectors and trainer drivers are being trained in
instructional techniques.

A classic example of this occured whilst I was relearning the roads.
This old driver was telling us that you can do this here, here and here.
Which was all wrong. This guy IS a buff and has had 30 years on the job.

The powers that be have made AQF a reality.

rgds