Re: Pimba, Woomera & Roxby Downs

>Hang on, lets start from the beginning, the four GE's
>were imported into Australia under the Lend-Lease
>scheme by the Federal Government for use at the
>munitions plant at St. Marys NSW.
>After the war they became the property of NSWGR and
>7921 & 7922 were transferred back to the Feds and used
>to haul wagons from Pimba to Woomera during the Rocket
>Range construction and then were later transferred to
>the Commonwealth Railways.
>
>This is the first time I have heard that two of them
>formerly belonged to the US Army.  I understood the
>four came direct from GE in the US.

OK.  "Century Plus of Locomotives" (AHRS NSW, 1965) states that they were
imported from the General Electric Company, Erie, USA by the Department of
Munitions for use at the St. Mary's factory Dunheved.

BUT I seem to recall that the numbering 7920-7923 was something to do with
the US military.

Certainly, there is an identical unit numbered 7926 at the Connecticut
Trolley Museum outside Hartford CN.

Rgds

Bill