Re: 3801 and 4401...

On Tue, 14 Sep 1999 08:56:18 GMT, keithm@happy.dca.gov.au (Dave
Malcolm) wrote:

>In article <19990914020635.00665.00001874@ng-xb1.aol.com> markbau1@aol.comQQQQyuk (MarkBau1) writes:
>>From: markbau1@aol.comQQQQyuk (MarkBau1)
>>Subject: Re: 3801 and 4401...
>>Date: 14 Sep 1999 06:06:35 GMT
>
>><<<<<What an excuse. If the only reason is to increase the number of passengers
>
>>carried then the more sensible and efficient option is to run extra trains
>>>>>>>

>>How would that be more efficient? You'd need an extra crew to start with?
>>Duh!!!
>
>>Mark.
>
>If you run 1 train with 2 locos (1 steam 1 diesel) you use 2 crews the same
>number of crews as if you run 2 different trains with 1 loco. I do realise
>there will be times where running a train to an advertised destination at
>a later date will not be possible.

Although, West Coast Rail here in the Steamy State worked that out, by
putting a control stand into the R class.  That meant that one crew
could work the steamer and a trailing diesel.

BTW, does anyone know whether they ever got this working, or use it in
their day-to-day operations?

Cheers...JD

John Dennis                         jdennis@acslink.net.au
Melbourne                                  denjo02@cai.com
Australia                   Home of the Dutton Bay Tramway
DBT URL:       http://www.acslink.net.au/~jdennis/dbt.html