Re: AN sleepers in Suburban Melbourne

Christopher_Martin GORDON <cmgord@ecr.mu.oz.au> wrote in message
7rkrst$p8n$1@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU">news:7rkrst$p8n$1@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU...

> : At work today (Thomastown Station), I looked down into the pit for some
> : reason (can't remember why) an I noticed that the (concrete) sleepers
> : had the AN logo on them and at the end of each sleeper a 2 or 3 digit
> : number.

> : Why would The Met/Hillside be using AN sleepers?
> : What are the numbers?

> I have seen them at places like Box Hill, and between Ringwood and
Croydon
> & Ringwood and Bayswater.  All these tracks were added/changed in the
early
> 1980's.  I also noticed some at Heatherdale Rd level crossing, as well as
> being An sleepers they are also dual gauge (that is they have the extra
> space for a rail clip thingy for standard gauge.)

Way back in the dim dark past, the VR started using Concrete Sleepers for
new construction in the metro area.  Box Hill, Ringwood - Bayswater
Duplication, Sunshine - Deer Park West duplication etc... All these
sleepers had AFAIK VR cast into them.

Then for a while, all new construction became timber.  (Like Cranbourne).

Then, several years ago, construction & major renewal (Level Crossings &
Pit Renewals) went back to concrete.  The first batch of sleepers were
obviously the lowest price tender, they were gauge convertible sleepers
with the Standard Gauge clip deleted. They came from the Tailem Bend
factory, & still had AN markings all over them.  After awhile they started
getting (& still are) sleepers from the factory nr Geelong.  These are the
same as the Standard Gauge Sleepers installed between NPT & Nth Geelong,
(except they are BG).  These ones have the PTC logo cast into them.

--
Mr Notagunzel.
Concrete Railway Sleeper Connoisseur.