Re: Naughty Naughty!

In <37D84A93.2E706BB2@MYlisp.com.au> John MacCallum <johnmac@MYlisp.com.au> writes:

>Steven Hurst wrote:
>>
>> Tut, tut, David, Your not supposed to post pictures on this newsgroup -
>> prepare to be grilled, steamed, rolled and toasted...
>>
>> David Wilson posted pictures in message
>> 7r537p$7i4as$1@titan.xtra.co.nz">news:7r537p$7i4as$1@titan.xtra.co.nz...

>I don't see why someone can't post pictures to the news group.
>At least then it would be Interesting instead of the usual shit
>that people put on here.

How long does it take to download a 1k text file containing a news message?
Less than a second generally.

How long does it take to download a 100k mixed text/binary file containing a
news message plus an encoded image file? *much* longer - typically up to a
minute for most people depending on network latency, etc.

This is the reason we don't condone images being posted in this newsgroup.
Most of us don't have fast network connections (ie. better than about 3 k
bytes [equates to about 33600 bps).

There is always 'alt.binaries.pictures.rail', which is largely dominated by
US-centric images, but if some of the people who want to see Australian rail
images would actually post images in 'a.b.r.rail' we could start to redress
the US-centrism problem... 8-)

Alternatively, start up a movement to from an 'aus.binaries.pictures.rail'
newsgroup....

Regards,

Craig.
--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport