Question about privatization

Hello,

I would like to use some background material for an article I'm writing
regarding railroad privatization. I have some material about USA and
Europe,
but it's pretty outdated (nearly a decade old book), so I would like to
ask where (Web pages) to search for more current information (especially
Europe, regarding the European Union's directive 91/440 about railroad
privatization).

Typical questions are: historical background of privatization attempts,
what are/were the results (especially with statistical numbers), etc.

Replies will be gladly summarized, if desired from the newsgroup
readers.

Regards from a fellow railfan,
Nick Fotis.