Re: Labor's Transport Policy (Vic)

Johann Fan <jyf@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
7ra0mr$l40$1@news1.mpx.com.au">news:7ra0mr$l40$1@news1.mpx.com.au...
> Dear all,
>
> Labor has released its transport policy at Craigieburn stn.:
> 100 Conductors
> 100 more station staff
> Third track between Mitcham and Blackburn (I guess they mean Box Hill and
> Ringwood?)
> tram to Knox City
> "flyer" trains to outer suburbs
>

> A few questions :
>
> How can they tell the private companies what to do? (ie increase staff,
> conductors etc.)

I guess they can do anything they like within reason, provided they adjust
the contracts.

After all the private operators only franzise the business when it all boils
done, (they don't actually own the railways, they operate them under
contract to the government, same with the Trams).

Only V/line freight was sold outright and then, the tracks and infrastruture
is only leased to FV.

Bob.