Re: State of steam in NSW

Some people on this ng seem to have a very negative view of steam in NSW,
there aren't enough volunteers to maintain what we've got etc. IMO the state
of steam in NSW is at a very low point at the moment, back in 1990 the
Thirlmere Steam festival had 3801, 3642, 3001, 3137 and 3112 in steam, this
year 3112, 2705 and 3830 was down from Sydney. I am one of the younger steam
fans who was born after the end of steam in Australia, how did I become
interested in steam? a ride on Puffing Billy. I believe the development of
the steam engine in the 18th century had the greatest impact on human life of
any machine before or since, and should be celebrated as such. I agree with
the statements by some who believe there aren't enough volunteers to maintain
any more locos than are currently opperating. I would suggest that a possible
reason for this is the stagnent nature of the preservation movement at the
moment, people are loosing interest. I myself agree the presevation movement
can't survive on just steam, diesel has a place as well. However, there seems
to be a bias towards long distance tours hauled by diesel to the detriment of
steam tours both over long and short distances. I'm not saying diesel tours
don't have a place, they do, not every one wants steam, but I think a balance
has to be found. If the current trend continues there won't be any rail
enthusiasts in the future to keep any loco in traffic, how did the other
readers on this NG get involved with the preservation movment?

Dave Malcolm