Re: State of steam in NSW

Darren,
       Some of your information is incorrect.I will make some points
and comments here.
* Richmond Vale Railway, SMR 22 has never operated in preservation (I
think you were thinking of 24), in any case both 24 and 25 are now both
out of service. SMR 30 is nearing the end of it's restoration though
still some time off. Marjorie is the only operable steam loco with this
group although Kathleen and the ROD are under restoration.
* RTM, 3526 near to compleation however not a priority as it has been
proven that steam makes no money for the RTM. 3642 and 5910 could be
returned to service if the time and money is allocated,again not a
priority.
* LVR 3026 and 3237 restoration very slow however perhaps some
additional income from railfreight operations may assist.3013 is
stripped down but not being worked on.
* Powerhouse Museum, the 3830 team has now started on 3265. There is
also  talk of a replica #1 and train to be built by 2005 for the NSWR
150.
* 3801 ltd will return SMR18 to service at some stage in the future
however again a low priority.
*3112 sits awaiting a decision on the front tube plate.

  Now to the future. The SRA heritage Committee is considering options
towards the future restoration of locomotives in the next few years so
that some additional locomotives may be restored by 2005. Now the big
question... How many more locomotives do we really need???? I suggest
NONE. every group is streched to the limit right now looking after what
they have. Then there is the question of what work would be availible
to  each additional locomotive. With the restoration of larger mainline
locomotives costing over $1M, where would the money come from??
  OK, Victoria is on a high with so many locomotives running at the
moment but this was not always the case. I recall in 1984 only K190 was
operable.
  In Queensland the taxpayer funded restoration of steam is also on a
high however it would only need a ned CEO at QR and the whole thing
could stop. Remember what happened in NSW with 3813 and Phillip
Shirley.  A very similar thing happened last year in the US with
Norfolk Southern suddenly stopping everything and getting rid of the
lot.
  Finally I wish to say that while I would love to see 20 or more
operable steam locomotives in NSW, I know it will never happen. It
can't and won't happen. Also it is worth mentioning the ever incerasing
amount of heritage diesel locomotive tours. Are we steam lovers a dying
breed?
No doubt there will be a few coments to my thoughts.
Cheers
Bob