Re: Faster to Ballarat

Exnarc (gwrly@netspace.net.au) wrote:
> > Freight rail services may also be expanded with the newly privatised
> > Freight Victoria seeking funds to re-open the Sale to Bairnsdale line.

> Just a question here, I can understand why the government would want to
> spend tax payers money upgrading (privately owned) passenger services, but
> why would the tax payer be required to upgrade lines that are purely for
> freight?

Because the independent member for East Gipsland is one of the three
independents holding the balance of power. If Bracks does anything to
displease the independents, he's no longer Premier.

Besides, what's $2 million these days? :)

Actually the figure is $2 million to get the line open for freight.
$4 million would be required if the line was to carry passenger trains.
I suspect $4 million will be forthcoming, as the new member says it is
in the interests of his electorate to have a passenger service to
Bairnsdale.

Cheers
David