Re: Faster to Ballarat

David Bromage <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote in message
0MMR3.9$cS3.348363@news0.optus.net.au">news:0MMR3.9$cS3.348363@news0.optus.net.au...
> Labor on fast track for change
>
> A fast rail from Melbourne to Ballarat will be the first in a series of
> rural train upgrades by the new Labor Government.State and Regional
> Development Minister John Brumby said a feasibility study, funded jointly
> by the government and V-Line passenger licensee National Express, would be
> completed by February. Brumby said the Labor Party had committed about $80
> million to upgrade rural rail services and had promised to begin work on
> them within 100 days of obtaining office. The funding for the projects
> will be available next financial year, he said. While in opposition, the
> Labor Party promised:
>
> $25 million for a fast rail upgrade to Ballarat - with the aim of cutting
> travel time between Ballarat and Melbourne to less than 60 minutes.
>
> $20 million for a fast rail link to Geelong - cutting travel time to 45
> minutes.
>
> $20 million for a fast rail upgrade to Bendigo - aiming for an 80-minute
> link to Melbourne.
>
> $15 million to help upgrade the Traralgon line.
>
> $40 million to standardise the rural freight network.
>
> Freight rail services may also be expanded with the newly privatised
> Freight Victoria seeking funds to re-open the Sale to Bairnsdale line.
> Freight Victoria chief executive Marinus van Onselen said although it was
> early days yet for the government, re-opening the line would see much of
> the logging transport revert to rail, which would also benefit the roads.
> He said $2 million was needed for re-opening the line for freight and $4
> million if it was also to carry passengers.
>
> Weekly Times 27/10/99 p11

Just a question here, I can understand why the government would want to
spend tax payers money upgrading (privately owned) passenger services, but
why would the tax payer be required to upgrade lines that are purely for
freight?

Freight Victoria (whilst they only lease the lines) are a fully private
operation, unlike National Express Passenger services which are franchise
operations run for the government. I can see the arguement for removing
heavy freight from tax payer financed roads but in the case of FV all their
income above what it costs to run the service goes as profit to Rail
America, would they be required to put money forward to help finance these
upgrades?

The other point is if they do help pay for the upgrade of freight only lines
would they be interested in paying for standardsisation, which would bring
with it Open Access competition. Whilst the majority of lines are broad
gauge there is little chance of a Freight Corp, ASR or National Rail
entering into the market.

Bob.