Re: 8 car C set

Eric Cartman wrote:

> Hi
>
> The "weird box thing" above the C set doors is a disused doors opening
> indicator like the diagram below if i remember correctly. They were not in
> use very much and were presumably disconnected shortly after entering
> service. In the newly upgraded C sets, this "box" is covered over.
>
> <<<<<<<<<< >>>>>>>>>>
>
> I think they are called choppers because they have a function called chopper
> control, like a helicopter (as I think the Tangaras have as well). I'm sure
> that one of the people who operate C sets can explain more............
>
> BTW, the C sets were originally classifed as K sets but were reclassifed C
> sets to differentiate them from other K sets.
>
> Eric
Ok not a bad response.
The box was a door open and close indicator for when the choppers had
semi automatic doors, ie the passengers had to press a door open button.
it was a more hi tech version of the V sets. the Indicators had <<< >>>
which flashed and played an ascending chime for the doors in the
release/open position and a >>> <<< which flashed and had a decending
chime. The doors were belt Driven similar to a Tangara. This set up
lasted for about 4 years and was conveted to the current setup for the
following reasons:
Delays were occuring because when the doors were released people didn't
press the doors open button and waited for the doors to open.
Delays were occuring because people liked listening to the chimes.
(????)
Guards were being put in for not opening the doors.
The indicators >>> <<< malfunctioned when water got in them.
The doors were converted because when one moron held open his door the
other door also stayed open and or the belt would streach.

They are called Choppers because they have a "chopper" electrical circut
instead of banks of resistors to accelerate. Some model train set power
packs are chopper controled, so you can have a chopper steam engine! :-)
As far as helecoptors go I can't comment.

rgds