Re: Country(link?)

As a ex NSWman now living in CQ via Tassie, I used to think NSW had the most superior rail system in Australia. But after catching a few trains to Brisbane and back, including the Tilt train, Spirt of Capricorn and a loco hauled sleeper that went on to Carins. I can now say that NSW must be lucky to have the country services they have.

Few staff(NSW) don't know why they actually have a job. Maybe they should read the West Coast Railways web page to understand why they are employed. Apart from one or two staff, the rest don't know what "customer service" means. The operator
country link don't have a clue either. The XPT is a great train, but it could offer so much more if approached the right way.

I would like to see QR run a competing service from Brisbane to Sydney or Melbourne. They could use a loco hauled train that is slower than the XPT and I reckon they would still have greater pass numbers. If they where to use something like a disel version of the tilt on SG bogies, they would most likely wipe out the XPT service, as they would have them on speed and service.

No wonder NSW has fewer pass rail services today, with some of the current ones also under risk of being reverted to bus. Why is it that a route like Rocky to Brisbane can justify more services and more choice of services than the capital city runs of Mel - Syd - Bris. At least the orient express will help, but thats a bit steep for the average person.

Guys, while countrylink is the way it is, forget about Cooma or other new services unless they are private.

Shane