Re: Hume ????

In article <9pAQ3.69$9l2.1972@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net> "PETer and susAN Cokley" <petan@NOSPAMion.com.au> writes:
>From: "PETer and susAN Cokley" <petan@NOSPAMion.com.au>
>Subject: Hume ????
>Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 16:38:05 +1000

>Hume, the log loading place on the Cooma-Queanbeyan line, is where??

>I understand it is not too far from Queanbeyan itself.

>Is it a suburb of  Queanbeyan?

>Thanks

>Peter Cokley

Hume is a industrial suburb of Canberra, about 10Kms south of Queanbeyan
station,on the old Cooma line.
Railwise there isnt much there,in that all the rail sidings are either
disconnected from the main or removed altogether.
The log loading takes place on the main line, with a loader dumping the logs
onto the wagons .
It takes about 15 mins to fill one wagon.
The loading area is not accessible to the public as you have to drive thru
private property to get there.

If this train is going to continue running , it would seem to me that a better
arrangement is needed, in that a dedicated siding is needed where the train
can be loaded in a much shorter time.
Currently , the train crew are required to man the train for the whole time
that it is being loaded,to slowly move the wagons so that they are accessible
by the loader.
Its currently taking around 6 hours to load the train, much too long.

MD