Re: NSW country rail lines upgrade

And back to the original post about what the funds were going to used for on
the Queanbeyan to Cooma line.

The money being put forward will almost certainly not go beyond Hume. This
is based on the advise from RAC to the ARHS(ACT) (last newsletter) that they
are resuming the line as far as Tuggeranong siding to facilitate log traffic
out of Hume.

This is quite apart from what we would all like to see happen as far as
reopening the line to Cooma and beyond.

The trackwork is cut in a few places on the Monaro Hwy and the cost of
replacing the crossings with structures that would be considered safe (level
crossings get bad press) and the cost of the replacing timber bridges at
Chakola and other crossings will kill the idea unless a lot of revenue is
garrenteed.

Not likely.

Garry Hoddinett <hoddos@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
7uuana$254s$1@otis.netspace.net.au">news:7uuana$254s$1@otis.netspace.net.au...

> David Bromage <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote in message
> b8wQ3.53$xw3.1024277@news0.optus.net.au">news:b8wQ3.53$xw3.1024277@news0.optus.net.au...
> for
> >
> > > Why not reopen all the way to Bombala then, and save trans-shipment
> costs?
> > > Is the formation in good enough nick to do this? (Don't worry, I am
> enough
> > > of a realist to know it will never happen - Bombala, that is).
> >
> > Cooma is doable because it's only been closed for a decade or so.
Bombala