Re: NSW country rail lines upgrade

Dave Proctor wrote:

> Railway Rasputin <bob@fastlink.com.au> wrote in message
> 381106DE.BC9C6B20@fastlink.com.au">news:381106DE.BC9C6B20@fastlink.com.au...
> >

> > Jonathan Lau wrote:
> > >
> > > Yesterday's (22/10) Daily Telegraph had an article about 4 new country
> > > rail projects in NSW. $ 3 Million have been allocated for:
> > >
> > > - Reopening of a key section of the Moree-Inverell Line.
> > > - Major upgrades of Cooma-Queanbeyan line.
> > > - Major upgrades of north western wheat lines.
> > > - Extended crossing loop at Emerald Hill near Gunnedah.
> > >
> > > Carl Scully said this was part of the Government's policy of reversing
> > > rural rail line closures.
> > >
> > > Jon Lau
> >
> > lets hope he is right!
>
> I agree - I will not hold my breath though.
>
> Perhaps they have seen the caning that the bush gave Jeff in Victoria, and
> we are going to see some monumental rectum kissing over the next three
> years, five months (until the next election on 29/3/03).

Maybe, but I wonder whether the broader community, and policians too are simply
coming to their senses at last.  After all, the majority of contributors to this
ng advocate rail development, so if we advocate it then presumably we believe it
is a sensible thing to do, and if it is a sensible thing to do then presumably
at least occasionally others will believe it too, and if re-opening a rail line
is a sensible thing to do then I don't call it rectum kissing - just progress.

Mind you, Scully might just be worried about the effect on his image of having
been SUCKED IN by John Laws' mercenary Truckin' advocacy.