Re: NSW 4400 Class Engines

John Engleman wrote:

> Can somebody explain to me why everyone in NSW insists on running the
> 4400 series Alco engines "backwards".  I know they are technically
> double ended, but why do they insist on running flat end forward and
> hiding the obvious front end, especially when it is such a good looking
> front end?  This went on well over 50% of the time when these engines
> were still in service (God how I used to detest driving into the wilds
> of NSW looking for them, only to find them either coupled nose to nose
> instead of back to back), so the excuse of not being able to turn them
> was a mute point.  And now, they even do it on excursions (example: 4490
> running head out with the no. 2 end leading and coupled to 44210 on
> SL-81).  So besides the visibility excuse (which should not even come
> into the picture when fans are paying to ride expecting, or so I would
> think, for the real nose to be leading), what is the reasoning behind
> this?

Just the sort of ridiculous comment I have come top expect on this
news group. Ever thought about crew comfort or not having to turn
the engine for the direction of travel?
No of course not! Next time I'm marshalling engines to go out
I will make sure I put them in Class and then Numerical order for
you.

PS. These engines of the 44 Class. Not the 4400 class.

Pope

Alias	John MacCallum

remove MY from MYlisp to get the real email address.