Re: Melb Trams and Fatalities

As A tram driver for Swanston Trams I can assure you that there are a lot of
accidents. I have had 19 incidents involving cars smashing into my tram in
the last 3 and a half years. The statistics put together by our senior depot
trainer show a decrease, but I would say that on an average day at my depot
there are at least two accidents. The incident on the West Coburg line that
made the news recently showed what happens all the time,. The driver of that
tram was lucky to be alive. But fatalities, no there are not to many. The
trams are not usually going to fast and the emrgancy track brakes can pull
the tram up fairly quick.
CS