Re: Rail related questions about moving to Sydney

Hi Reuben,

I'm sure that there are far more qualified to reply but I'll tell you what I
can.  It will largely depend on where you're living as to the quality of
service that you can expect from Cityrail.  Your example of Beecroft was a
good one.  Generally Beecroft (the main line) is served by a half hour
service whereas Artarmon is served at least every 15 minutes.  In the peak
hours the services on the North Shore line (where Artarmon is) run
frequently and prettymuch (within 3 or 4 mintues) on time.
You may notice from some posts here recently in which Hornsby has been the
subject of discussion.  This is because there is a new signalling system
being commissioned and the problems being ironed out.  I don't think that
you should be overly concerned with getting to the station more than 5 or so
minutes early (just don't run down the stairs 5 minutes after the train is
due to leave and yell at the guard for leaving without you ;))

As for the tickets, you can buy an extension from the furthest points of
travel if you wish e.g. a ticket between Beecroft and Artarmon would just
need to be extended further north by asking at the ticket window for "a
single/return FROM Hornsby TO Wyong".  Sometimes the ticket selling clerks
need reminding that the origin of the ticket is different from where the
purchase point is.  Just remember to buy it before you get on the train to
save getting out through barriers to buy the extension.  I know it seems
obvious but I've done it myself because I'm stupid.

I don't know if I have been helpful or perhaps completely confused you but
I'm sure there are plenty of people in the NG more eloquent than I who can
clear it up for you.

Happy travelling!!

regards to all

Jane