Re: Melb Trams and Fatalities

Kim Hazelgrove <azltech@opera.iinet.net.au> wrote in message
380C851C.24F5EF6C@opera.iinet.net.au">news:380C851C.24F5EF6C@opera.iinet.net.au...
> Just a simple one. My wife and I were in Melbourne in July and a
> > Anyway, my question is: What is the average or statistic for tram
> fatalities per day, week, month, year (whatever the recording is)?
> Please help us to find out this tidbit of trivia.
> <much sniping>
Well Kim unlike our trains which manage to knock off  a few people in a
normal week(mind you most of them are suicides and they do not get reported
as a matter of course,I believe this is to stop the copy cat lemmings from
getting the same idea,I have read a statistic that a train driver has a
fatal every 48 months on average) the trams are a different kettle of fish.
Melburnians have learned to live with there trams in a manner of you stay
out of my way and I wont bludgeon your car or chop your body into little
pieces. This seems to work fairly well with people but cars are considered
fair game if they drive in front of the tram,if you get the picture.
I think a tram is about 16-18ton.
But no I dont think trams are a popular way to end it all and reports of
deaths are few and far between.
However as you saw Accidents do happen and opps can be fatal.
Lineman