Re: RD October 1999

Derek Rogers (DekRogers@nospambigpond.com) wrote:
> As we near the end of the twentieth century,

which ends in December 2000.....

 Railway
>> Digest launches the quest for the Australian 'Trains
> of the Century'. What we want is a list of 10 key railway
> developments that have shaped Australian railways.
> Consequently, the editorial staff ask readers to be
> part of the decision process to come up with a list
> of 10 significant Australian railway subjects

Not in any particular order:

- Introduction of air conditioning by VR, starting with individual E cars
  and then an entire train (Spirit of Progress)
- The demise of steam and the rise of diesel
- Standardisation
- Through working of locomotives
- Elecrification in Queensland (more significant than in Victoria or NSW)
- The XPT (in the context of 1981, not of 1999!)
- The rise and fall of ANR/AN, and the formation of National Rail
- Privatisation
- The QR tilt train, speed record and winning passengers back from airlines

Cheers
David