4306 at Maitland - 20 Years Later

Just a quiet Sunday morning at East Maitland ...

0925   Up coal  (90's )
0938   7BM4 on Up coal road - NR's 81/69
0943   UpWheat on coal road -  8173+8035+8004
0958   Up Endeavour
1015   NL74 Special -  Up main  4306+44211

Hmm, no Down trains!

7BM4 and the up wheat were held near Hanbury Junction for the special to run
through.

Watching the 43 reminded me of the last occasion I photographed one in
traffic, at almost the same location. It was September 1979 (20 years ago -
eek!) , and 4306 was by then the last of the class in service.  I spotted it
working trailing unit behind a 45 class on an Up wheat, and I chased it to
Port Waratah. After they stabled the train, I got a couple of engine first
shots of the 43 as the two locos worked light back to Broadmeadow. Only a
week or two later, 4306 failed in traffic, and the 43 class era was over.

This morning , back once more in home territory, it looked quite a sight ,
in tandem with 44211 in new tuscan livery, and the RTM's nine stainless
steel cars.

Cheers,

Paul