Re: Failed N474 but only temporarily

Thommo <mjthom@hdc.com.au> wrote in message
Kn_N3.5$6K1.533@vic.nntp.telstra.net">news:Kn_N3.5$6K1.533@vic.nntp.telstra.net...
> On Friday 15.10 I noted 8308 up Shepp pass still platformed at 08.30,
> apparently N.474 was losing air. I believe the down 8307 Shepp 11.20
arrival
> was double headed in order to retrieve the failed train, if so only the N
> set was returned. While listening to the scanner that night to my surprise
> N. 474 was lead loco on 9354 up goods in combination with an X and P
class,
> which worked out well for operations as 9354 was somewhat overloaded.
>
> Thommo

That's why!
9351 [?] down goods departed about 2 mins ahead of me [9691] ex Nth Dynon,
and whilst it picked up the P and heap of m/t goofeys and some loaded tanks
I managed to stay ahead of him till Wallan, my train was 660meters and 1390
tonnes behind G538, and I was making hard work of it. Crossing trains at
Tottenham,defective signals at McIntyre, more crosses at Tullamarine and
Wallan did not help much at all! I finally caught him between Broadford and
Seymour, and was interested to see him follow me out of Seymour. It is
normal to put him away, to cross the up Hoys Pass.
Another aside....It is normal practice to run the Dynamic braked locomotive
at the point, as the electric brake ensures the blocks on the wheels last a
lot longer[ along the whole train].
In days past an exemption was made for the Apex, and the T class was used to
haul the train empty, and the S or X was used to haul it loaded [to save
time switching]  the locos, at each end. G543 seems to run the Apex now. So
why would you run the Tocumwal with the P leading?
OK I know I can chat the driver next time we drag out of
Melbourne.............
Cheers Rod