Re: Out of Gauge Suburban EMU's in Sydney (Was DOO In Sydney)

On Sat, 16 Oct 1999 11:39:18 +1000, Rod Gayford
<rjaygee@smartchat.net.au> wrote:

>Waiting for Hornsby via Strathfield train about 5pm yesterday (15/10) at Wynyard
>when I noted an Up Shore Tangara pull in and then depart. Next thing horrible
>female screams. Some idiot women had decided she wanted to get off the train at
>the last moment and dived through the door as it closed. She made but the silly
>bag she was carrying got caught in the door. The train took off with her holding
>onto the bag. She did pretty well running on high heels screaming her head. The
>guard finally noticed her and stopped the train. This gave the opportunity for a
>few who had just missed the train to scramble on board. I was wondering what
>would have happened if there was no guard and she ran out of platform? The bag
>was thin enough along with the rubber door seals not to have activated any door
>safety device. The driver was far enough into the tunnel not to be able to see
>any mirrors, videos. Rear view mirrors would be of limited use as he is on the
>near side and the platform was on the offside.  I would suggest that unless the
>female had let go of the bag a fatality would have occurred. Unfortunately, the
>law looks after the stupid these days.  Food for thought. Any sensible comments
>on the incident?
>
>Cheers
>RJG
I will tell you what would have happened in Melb two possible senarios

1 she would have let go of the bag and it would have been stolen by
some thug traveling on the train.
2 she would have held on to the bag and been dragged of the platform
as i have said before this would have no bearing as far as management
were concerned as it is called acceptable risk end of story .
the happening of these type of incidents DO NOT preclude DOO they are
part of the risk WAKE UP these incidents will NOT stop DOO they don't
in Melbourne and they wont in Sydney.
regards
Regards Paul Johnston (MNRC)