Re: Gauntlet tracks

C. Dewick wrote:

> In <ntFN3.123$xm.5081@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net> "Steven Hurst" <hurste@primus.com.au> writes:
>
> >> Can anyone give me a list of all locations of Gauntlet tracks in
> >Australia?
>
> >What is a Gauntlet Track, assume nothing, always give full details please :)
>
> It's a way of running two tracks without actually combining them into one
> single track (with turnouts, etc.) through a location where two parallel
> rights of way can't fit because of space restrictions.

In tramway parlance this is also known as "interlaced track." One of the
most notable stretches of interlaced tramway track in the world is in
Amsterdam along Leidestraat which is a very narrow throughfare with a
frequent tram service. The tracks bulge out at each canal bridge to form
passing loops. I presume it is interlaced rather than single track/loops
because of the cost of having points at each bridge (there are a lot of
them).

Were there any example of interlaced tramway track in Australia?

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand