Re: Virus

Bill McNiven <wmcniven@gunzel.ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
w%ON3.12805$D33.37360@ozemail.com.au">news:w%ON3.12805$D33.37360@ozemail.com.au...
> 1 Received the message below today.  The date is kinky so the other
details
> are dubious.  "Australian List" probably means ausloco because my E-mail
> address in aus.rail is gunzelised.
> 2 Received another E-mail from the same source consisting only of an
> attachment happy99.exe which I seem to recall is a virus.

Sort of - happy99.exe is a trojan program, and it installs Back Orifice on
your computer, allowing anyone else with BO to obtain access into your
computer whilst you are connected to the net, without your knowledge. Once
in, they can do all sorts of things, such as open and close your CD-ROM
drawer, and other things to amuse themselves. They can also be destructive,
and delete files (or copy files, including password files).

> Suggest you all delete any mail you get from this source.  (BTW, I'd
expect
> a genuine Canadian to be in the .ca domain!)

I never open any .exe file unless it is from a reliable source. Even then, I
have my virus scanner to check it. Most anti-virus programs these days check
for BO.

btw, I am in Australia, and my email address is @umpires.com - so just
because there is no country domain does not mean they are not in Canada. The
lack of a country domain could be anywhere in the world, not necessarily in
the United States (which has a rarely used .us)

DaveP