Re: Feedback needed

David Bromage <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote in message
XgAN3.48$ga1.514248@news0.optus.net.au">news:XgAN3.48$ga1.514248@news0.optus.net.au...
> WhaleOilBeefHooked (daproc@spambait.umpires.com) wrote:
> > I have a confession to make - I like writing timetables. I think I do it
> > better than the current operators. Will people please visit
> > http://www.ozemail.com.au/~daproc/timetables.html, follow the links, and
> > advise me of what they think of what I have written (the timetables,
that
> > is - not the HTML - I have people on alt.html already working on that!)
>
> This form of timetable has been worked over several times in this
> newsgroup. :)
>
> A few problems. ST2 misses the connection to Brisbane. What is the purpose
> of running ST1, ST3 and ST4 earlier? There is no problem starting ST3
> earlier as it's formed by a stabled set.

No it is not - it is formed by the cars off NT4. ST1 runs earlier so that
ST4 can run earlier - so that it has time in Sydney to be serviced before
forming NT3.

As far as ST2 missing the connection to Brisbane, it only applies one way
now - NT2 does not connect with ST1. I deliberately made it so that ST! and
ST2 would connect with nothing coming in in the evening or going out in the
morning, as these are not guaranteed connections - at present, Countrylink
sometimes hold these trains, sometimes not. If they do not hold them, they
always have NT25 to fall back on (if travelling as far as Grafton) so the
wait is not that great. Under this timetable, the next train would be NT1, a
much greater wait. I thought it better to discourage connection by making it
impossible to connect.

For connections from the south to the north coast, ST4 connects straight
into NT3 (same set, in fact) and vice versa.

> Have another think about the IP schedules. It's not a train that runs from
> Sydney to Perth. It's actually a train that runs from Adelaide to Perth
> and Adelaide to Sydney. There is also a lot of idle time in Melbourne and
> Perth.

Same idle time in Perth as there is now. This is a crewing requirement. At
present, the train arrives on Thursdays and Sundays, and leaves on Fridays
and Mondays. So there is no difference.

What would you suggest with the Melbourne turnaround? I could not find a way
around it.

DaveP