Re: Oldest set of flashing lights at a road crossing still in situ

David Langley <del@ancc.com.au> wrote in message
38033BCC.D315EC6A@ancc.com.au">news:38033BCC.D315EC6A@ancc.com.au...
> "Darren H." wrote:
>
> > I had suspected that they may be the oldest set in situ. Do any others
of
> > this type still exist in use?
> >
> > For those who haven't seen them, they are the type with a single lamp
being
> > used to light lenses facing each direction. Most signals these days have
> > seperate lamp housing for each direction - forward and rear of the post.
>
> Ah. Now I assume that you mean the actual equipment and not just the level
> crossing equipped with flashing lights. In which case I would suggest that
> there are no others around as in my time an effort was made to do away
with
> that type. The crossing at Mangalore over the Defence Siding had them
almost to
> the end but one side was knocked over as a result of an accident.
>
> DEL
>
> > Lineman <grime@dcsi.net.au> wrote in message 37fe7d99@nap-ns1">news:37fe7d99@nap-ns1...
> > > I wonder if the National Trust or Heritage council has placed the
> > > Koo-Wee-Rup (Vic) level crossing on its register as a notable item to
be
> > > protected.
> > > I was led to believe that it was the oldest complete installation on
the
> > > Victorian system,dating from the mid 1940s
>
> See this comment suggests the location and not the equipment at the
location.

Yes fair comment David,but I did mean the equipment,I was over that way
recently on a wet day and the old place is looking very bedraggled and in
need of some TLC.
Lineman