Re: Alice Springs to Darwin line, but wait, there is more.!

The sentiments about people not giving a damn may be true

But look at Vic - extra roads to Geelong, Ballarat, Bendigo promised by
Kennett and he had his backside kicked in those areas.

Bracks only promised a couple of sweeteners to those areas - $20 million for
rail improvements (don't know what)

It makes me upset everytime I recall that until the early 70s they had the
Mungindi rail motor pottering around out woop woop wasting taxpayers money
that should have been spent BACK THEN on real improvements - deviations,
daylighting, regauging, heavier rail and concrete sleepers, big locos and
efficient safeworking. The huge buckets of money the government put into
railway operations that could have been spent on efficiency mean that all
the jobs that were lost could have been saved as the rail market share would
be much greater than it is now. It is definitely robbing peter to pay paul,
as the money that was being wasted on rural passenger services (and used to
subsidise city commuters) could have built a system that would be world's
best practice.

I look around me - other countries charge far more for their rail services
and have better services to show for them. It costs a couple of hundred
dollars to travel by train in Japan between major cities (but so does flying
and the experience is akin to flying). Speedrail, the Brisbane Airport Line,
the Bondi Beach line and the Sydney Airport stations are the way to go -
charge people a lot more for rail services but make the services a lot
better.

Q48AODoUL4aWXSFDwugeROB674Ja@4ax.com">news:Q48AODoUL4aWXSFDwugeROB674Ja@4ax.com...