Re: Three Position Signalling

Maurie Daly <mauried@commslab.gov.au> wrote in message
mauried.347.37FFC21D@commslab.gov.au">news:mauried.347.37FFC21D@commslab.gov.au...
> .
> >>Is it theoretically possible to operate SG trains from Tottenham to =
> >Newport
> >>with TottyB and Brooklyn unattended, if it came to train order working =
> >on the=20
> >>SG.
>
> >No.  I remember listening on the scanner as an westbound NR train
> >ready to roll early sat in MOT for 90 minutes one Sunday afternoon
> >'cos the signaller at Brooklyn didn't start till 1530.
>
> >I believe that CTC'ing the line from TTB to Newport is an ARTC
> >priority.
>
> >>Also who now controls posts ,186 WFJ,Sims 162,MPJ 206, and SS plats 1 &
=
> >2.
>
> >Krel posted a message answering this in the last week or so in a reply
> >to IsAGunzelInDenial who asked
>
> >> who performs Train Control for Sims St Jct -
> >>West Footscray Jct, and Tottenham B - Newport, Centrol or Mile End?
>
> >ARTC (Mile End) control from the down end of the Gauntlet track
> >(Dudley street). At the moment this is signalled by West Tower, WFJ,
> >Totty B, Brooklyn & Newport.
> >----------
> >>I presume that somwhere there is a dividing line between ARTC and FV ?
> >>Does FV own the SG tracks into Spencer St.
>
> >VicTrack, I think.
>
> >Regards
>
> >Yuri
>

> Thanks for all this yuri.
> I can understand the angst created by not being able to run SG trains
until FV
> signallers come on duty.
> Makes you wonder whether ARTC should be paying their salaries.
> I guess its only at TottyB,Brooklyn,Newport and Wodonga this happens.
> Iff they (ARTC) CTC from tottyB to Newport , I just hope they keep going.
> Is there really sufficient traffic now to still require both BG tracks
from
> Brooklyn to Newport.
> From an operational perspective it would make sense to simply make the
dual
> guage SG only and then segregate the BG & SG trains.
>
> cheers
> MD

 Possibly a better option and not that expensive would be to make the West
Line dual gauge, after all the points at Brooklyn and Newport are already
dual gauge, (except for the intermediate ones). One of the major flaws in
the SG out of Melbourne is the lack of crossing capacity, once a train
departs Manor  nothing can depart Tottenham Loop, if the West line was
dualed it would at least allow a train to cross at Newport.

As for the staff being booked off at Brooklyn and Newport, a proceedure
already exists for the crew of PM5 (9712) to obtain a staff for the
Newport - Brooklyn section from a staff box at Newport box  when Newport Box
is unmanned. (Sundays I think). Of cause CTC would solve this problem
completely.

Bob.