Re: Wolli Creek Station (NSW)

Wolli Creek is a very Australian name - appropriate for the station next to
the International Terminal station and as junction for the Illawarra line.
With a name like that it could be somewhere between Wee Waa and Burren
Junction.

I was reading a book that said the North Shore stations with names like
Wahroonga, Warrawee, Turramurra and so on - the names don't really mean
anything but sounded nice to the 1880s (what we we now call trendies) moved
up there - they could catch the train to north sydney and ferry across to
their professional jobs, while living in the remote bush. There is nothing
new under the sun. It is also interesting that while attitudes to Aboriginal
people may not have been very enlightened, their languages have always been
regarded as attractive to Europeans in this country.

7tksek$fa7$1@lios.apana.org.au">news:7tksek$fa7$1@lios.apana.org.au...
<erk_cartman@yahoo.com> writes:

> >What about the confusion in the name? Is it North Arncliffe or Wolli
Creek?

http://lios.apana.org.au/~craigd