Re: XPTs

Al Barrett wrote in message <37fef258@news.hunterlink.net.au>...
>An unidentified XPT power car passed paterson today (saturday) dead, and
>covered in oil. (presumably blown up.)
>I think it was the Ex grafton XPT
>One can only wonder which services would survive if many more blow up!.
>
>Just thought someone might be interested.

I caught that XPT to a signal failure at Wondabyne with my colleagues.  The
driver was a real character having driven XPT's since 1983.  It was a new
motor & they didn't really know what had happened to cause the oil problem.
He was going to kick the unit in the guts to get up Cowan bank & see what
would happen.  The driver mentioned about replacing the engine with a 4000hp
unit in the future.??  The Exploded was right behind him on signals.
I have been on worksite protection duties in Hornsby Box on several
occasions when the south bound XPT's climb Cowan bank on one engine.  It
takes about 30 - 40 minutes.  That's if it doesn't become a total failure.

For your interest.