Re: XPTs

Jack <bd107@tsn.cc> wrote in message
dJDL3.4$av3.1149@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net">news:dJDL3.4$av3.1149@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net...
> Hi Al..
>
> Al Barrett wrote in message <37fef258@news.hunterlink.net.au>...
> >An unidentified XPT power car passed paterson today (saturday) dead, and
> >covered in oil. (presumably blown up.)
> >I think it was the Ex grafton XPT
> >One can only wonder which services would survive if many more blow up!.
> >
> >Just thought someone might be interested.
>

> I saw NT 26 with 2018 leading this morning and it had a rear unit. NT4 had
> 2000 leading and also had a rear unit.... My guess would be the unit came
> off NT1 last night, and it must have been north of Taree where it was
> detatched, as there was no stowed XP between Telarah and Taree...
>
> Out of interest how many do ya think are blown up?.... at the moment there
> is always one being repainted and as we speak there are 2 ok engines at
> Meeks Road as spares, so I guess the one you saw today would be the only
> "blown up" unit at the moment, or 5.26% of the fleet.... i wonder if any
> otther fleets can boast that low number of "blown up" engines..

yep.... I saw XP2000 leading the ex Murwillumbah XPT south at about ....
well late anyway....

this one was still attached to its train dead and heading south (as the
trailing unit). It crossed the Dungog squirt (endeavour) at 1345 at
Paterson.
For interests sake.... I didn't see the numbers because by the time I saw
the train It was at the southern end of the loop and intensly reflecting the
sun..... so I couldn't make out the number.... but it was plain old blue
countrylink livery.

and.... it was the reliability of the power cars I was having a go at not
the blowing up rate of them. I'm sure every one has seen a loco hauled XPT
or lone power car. ( I spose that only includes everyone who observes trains
on the XPT routes)