Re: DOO on CountryLink

Gday Eric..

Eric Cartman wrote in message <939441057.372164@diddley.primus.com.au>...
>Hi
>
>Just a couple of questions on DOO on CountryLink services.
>
>1 Does the driver or PSS close the doors on the Xlporers? I think it may be
>the PSS because the guard closes the doors on CityRail's Endeavours but I
>would like to be sure.

The Driver unlocks em and then closes them....

>2 Any news of when/if the XPT's are getting auto doors? Would the Xplorer
>type doors be suitable? I notice that there are panels above some doors for
>door  operations already (and may have been there originally).

There will be a locking device added to the current locks on all doors, with
possibly the exception of the luggage van doors, that hasnt been decided
yet, they may yet cut the doors in half and have a locking device on the
luggage van doors.... This will be controlled by the driver in a similar way
to the Explorers, with the exception that the PA's will still have to make
sure the doors are closed b4 the train leaves the station.

>3 With a PSS and several staff on board, can the CountryLink services be
>considered DOO anyway?

The PSS, because of very low safeworking accreditation, cannot offer the
driver much assistance at all... In reality an XPT train cannot be reversed
because the PSS does not even have signal recognition accreditation.. AS the
name suggests his main function is passenger services... about the only
safeworking the PSS has that is of any use to a driver is he able to protect
a train in emergency... Even when uncoupling a car a PSS can only lift the
pin for the driver, nuthin else, legally they cant even close a BP tap or
take a siding release.. So i think it is fair to say that in the important
safety stuff Countrylink is definetly DOO

Cheers
Jack
Queensland: Perfect One day
Beautiful the next
And wet for the other 363 days of the year