Re: when did Vic stop using buffers?

Roderick Smith (rodsmith@werple.net.au) wrote:
> From memory, conversion to auto couplers started in the mid 1920s; removal
> of buffers (because the program was so well advanced) commenced in the
> early 1950s.

There was a lot of conversion from screw couplers to transition hooks
(screw couplers in an auto coupler pocket) in the late 20s and early 30s.
Some vehicles (e.g. large W cars) were built with transition hooks.

There was mass conversion of some types of cars at various times. For
example the entire V&SARJS fleet was converted from transition hook to
auto in something like 3 weeks, I think in 1936.

Cheers
David