Re: British accident track layout

Eddie Oliver <eoliver@efs.mq.edu.au> wrote:

>The layout, as supplied to an international signalling mailing list by a
>very reliable source, is complicated, but the RELEVANT parts of it are
>thus:

etc...

Hello Eddie

I have a couple of questions.

I still can't fathom how the Down train managed to cross the path of
the Up.  Even if it passed the signals at points (normal)  "A" at
danger and kept going to the points at "D", how could those points
divert it across the Up Main unless they were set reverse.  And, if
they were set reverse, how could the Up Main be signalled for a
movement?  Am I missing something?  One of the newspapers this morning
suggests that the points in question were NOT (or should not have
been) set for the crossover move and then says "but... the weight of
the Thames train pushed it through the points and into the path of the
express."  What can this mean, if "D" was also set normal?

Is the signalling mailing list you refer to a private subscription
one? can I find out about it and become a subscriber?

Several people have referred to the newsgroup "uk.railway", but
neither of the news servers I use have this listed, how does one
access a newsgroup not listed by one's service provider?

Thanks for your help

Geoff Lambert