Re: Manually operated crossings in Melb?

: The only hand gates left are at New Street Brighton, on the Sandy line

There are still interlocked gates (gate wheel) at Ballarat.  But tender
is out for automation of these gates (Thats right automatic operation
of interlocked gates)

: The Inner Circle, up till 1966 this was Double Line from Royal Park to North
: Fitzroy, with a branch to Fitzroy Goods (Train Staff & Ticket). the line
: extended from Nth Fitzroy to both Rushall and Merri (triangle). The line to
: Merri was "LARGE" Electric Staff, (I actually ran the UP Thomastown Goods
: over this section in 1965), can't remember if the Rushall leg was double or
: single line.

: Royal Park to Nth Fitzroy was singled in 1966 becoming "Train Staff &
: Ticket" the rest, except Fitzroy Goods was closed.

: The whole thing closed in the early 80's, maybe some one can give the exact
: date, I do remember that Adrian Kiely (known as Lucky to NRC crews) ran the
: last goods on the line and that it derailed at Nth Fitzroy requiring the
: gang to replace a broken rail so that the train could get back to Melbourne
: Yard.

The tracks can still be seen in Fitzroy Yard.

--

Chris Gordon
http://www.ecr.mu.oz.au/~cmgord

e-mail: cmgord@ecr.mu.oz.au